The IoT (Internet of Things) market is evolving at a rapid pace. The report has claimed that the global market value of IoT platforms is going to reach till $74.74 billion by 2023. The reason behind this growth is the huge demand for IoT platforms, IoT devices and other components. For different IoT devices IoT product development need, you must choose one of the best IoT platforms among all that are present in the market as per your business need.
Table of Contents
If we talk about the IoT architecture, then it can be explained as a system in which there are various elements, protocols, sensors, cloud services, actuators and layers. Typically, there are four stages of the IoT architecture that are sensors and actuators, Edge IT, Internet getaways and data acquisition systems and Data center and cloud.
Moving towards IoT platforms then IoT platforms can be defined as a multi-layer technology that is utilized for managing and automating the connected devices. Also, these IoT platforms are useful in bringing the physical objects on the online platform. That platform will offer you the best services for connecting the devices for doing a machine to machine communication.
McKinsey&Company predicts that, by 2025, the overall economic impact of the IoT could reach $11.1 trillion, surpassing sectors such as "Mobile Internet", "Automation of knowledge work" and "Cloud technology".
The highlights of IoT cloud services and why its importance
IoT cloud services assist you in collecting and sending data to the cloud and find out the information for providing to manage the devices. You can easily interact with your apps using the devices even in the offline mode. The most important feature of the AWS IoT platform is device management.
IoT Infrastructure Market is set to exceed USD 130 billion by 2024; according to a new research report.
IoT cloud services help in increasing the scalability because IoT devices require a lot of storage for sharing information for important purposes. IoT in the cloud is like the StoneFly cloud that connects with Microsoft Azure for providing customers huge space for increasing the demand of users. Also, it helps in resolving the storage requirements of customers.
Top IoT cloud services list is given below
- Thingworx 8 IoT platform
- Microsoft Azure IoT Suite
- Google Cloud’s IoT platform
- IBM Watson IoT platform
- AWS IoT platform
- Cisco IoT Cloud connect
- Salesforce IoT cloud
- Kaa IoT platform
- Oracle IoT platform
- Thingspeak IoT platform
Most Popular IOT Platforms
Let’s see detailed information of the most popular IoT platforms
1. Google Cloud Platform
Google is everything for us in today's time. It is growing high even in the field of the cloud platform. It is a multi-layer secure infrastructure. It assists in enhancing the overall operational efficiency. It offers predictive equipment maintenance and solutions for smart cities
and building and real-time asset tracking.
Features of Google Cloud Platform -
- Machine learning has an immense capacity that any IoT will need
- It provides real-time business insights for globally dispersed devices
- Strong Artificial Intelligence capabilities
- Huge support for location intelligence
- Ability to speed up the business processes
- Can increase the device work rate
- Utilizes cloud services for minimizing the cost
2. IRI Voracity
It is an affordable platform that is very fast for data discovery, governance, integration, migration and analytics that has full power to transform, and analyst he device data streaming using the Kafka or MQTT. Voracity has a small footprint engine for data manipulation for fast aggregation on the edge that has a full-stack Eclipse IDE for metadata-driven and analytics.
Features of IRI Voracity -
- It connects and integrates sensors and log and different data sources
- It helps in consolidating data filtering, cleansing, masking, transforming and reporting
- It can run on a diverse range of Unix, Linux, Windows platform from a Raspberry Pi to a z.Linux mainframe
- It helps in migrating, subsetting, replicating, and leveraging IoT data for data lakes, archival and analytics and playbooks
- It helps in a fit-for-purpose data-wrangling node for aggregating and anonymizing IoT data and feeding IoT mining and different machine learning nodes
Particle offers different IoT solutions for connectivity, hardware, device cloud, and apps. For better connectivity reasons, it offers three main products that are Wi-Fi, Cellular and Mesh. Being an IoT software, it offers Device cloud, Device OS, IoT rules engine and developer tools. Particle is being utilized by the Opti for the training purpose of the weather casting product.
Features of Particle -
- Capability to offer a reliable infrastructure
- The platform can be utilized by anyone and no need of any expert person to make its use
- It has a firewall-protected cloud Google Cloud or Microsoft Azure Ability to work with data whether it is on.
- It can easily get integrated with anything with the help of REST API for the data purpose
4. Salesforce IoT Cloud
The Salesforce IoT cloud platform is built for maintaining custom engagement levels. The platform helps in increasing sales, marketing services, and app-related opportunities. Although, Salesforce is leveraging the IoT platform for delivering more and more productivity. It consists of different partners like Cisco systems, AWS and more such.
Features of Salesforce IoT Cloud -
- Capability to test business ideas without the need for programming
- Offer you the real data of the product use and performance
- Ability to work with any type of data from any of the device
- You can opt for creating device profiles for diverse customer context data in the CRM and streaming data from all of the connected devices
- No requirement of CS degree when the creation and management of orchestration rules
5. IBM Watson IoT
IBM Watson IoT is a Pass-Based development platform that is offered by IBM. The platform will help you in capturing and investigating data for machines, devices equipment and search the understandings for taking better decisions. Also, the IBM Watson IoT platform will allow you optimize your operations and resources.
Features of IBM Watson IoT -
- It offers an open container architecture that will support hassle-free migration of workloads to the clouds
- It will help in building and modernizing and connecting devices with apps on the cloud without any efforts
- It analyzes the unstructured data and understands the data-pattern for extracting the valuable insights
- It provides a dashboard for enhancing the visualization
- It provides analytics service as an add-on service
ThingWorx platform offers rise management solutions with low app development costs and less app-creation time. It has flexible solutions for distributing full app design, run-time, and consists of an intelligent environment. The platform is even popular for its fast app development process and distributing different IoT solutions. It also offers flexibility and scalability for the future distribution and benefit of the tech world.
Features of ThingWorx -
- It provides easy connectivity of more devices to diverse platforms
- It has the capability to take away the complexity of the IoT app development
- It can share the platform among diverse developers for ensuring fast development
- It helps in the integration of your device with the machine learning tools for automating big data analytical solutions
- It helps in the deployment of embedded, on-premise or cloud IoT solutions
7. Amazon AWS IoT Core
It will help you in connecting diverse devices to the cloud. Amazon AWS IoT core is a managed cloud service. It will permit devices for connecting with the cloud and communicating with other devices and cloud apps. It will provide huge support for MQTT, lightweight communication protocol and HTTP.
Features of Amazon AWS IoT Core -
- It can process a large number of messages
- It is a trustworthy and safe platform for routing the messages till AWS endpoints and other devices
- It can track your apps and communicate even when you are not connected
- It will allow you secure access for your devices
- Using this platform, you will be able to make use of other AWS services like Amazon Kinesis, Lambda and Amazon QuickSight and more such
8. Microsoft Azure IoT Suite
Microsoft Azure IoT suite is an open-source a cloud-based platform that assists in bringing local intelligence to the distributed IoT. This platform is designed for diverse industry needs. It can serve different industry sectors from manufacturing to transportation and to retail. It will provide different solutions for remote monitoring, smart spaces, connected products, and predictive maintenance.
Features of Microsoft Azure IoT Suite -
- It supports instant device registry that will build a unique identity for every device
- It offers a cloud-based dashboard that provides instant access to data from different devices and apps
- It allows real-time streaming of analytics for improving decision-making ability
- It facilitates continuous data analysis for actionable insights
- It offers a remote monitoring solution for keeping a track of all the devices and apps
9. Samsung Artik Cloud
Samsung Artik Cloud is a solution for hardware, cloud services and software. There is a big list of products that work with Artik cloud like Amazon Echo, FitBit, Automation, and more such. With the use of cloud connectors, you can integrate an existing cloud with the Artik cloud Services.
Features of Samsung Artik Cloud -
- It collects any kind of data like discrete, continues and historic and real-time
- It offers built-in security to devices, apps and user interactions
- It provides built-in privacy management
- It helps in monetizing the data that is shared by different IoT devices
- It will facilitate continuous data analysis for actionable insights
10. Oracle IoT
With the help of Oracle IoT, you can connect diverse devices to the cloud, perform the analysis of data from the devices in real-time and perform integration of data with the enterprise apps or web services. It supports the integration with oracle and non-oracle apps and different IoT devices with the help of REST API.
Features of Oracle IoT -
- It will assist in extending the supply chain, HR, ERP, and customer experience apps
- It offers operational efficiency and worker productivity to be increased and improved
- For analyzing the data, it offer features like data enrichment and stream processing
- With the help of REST API, integration can be done using Oracle and non-oracle apps and different IoT devices
11. Cisco IoT Cloud connect
It is a mobility cloud-based software suite. This IoT solution is used for mobile operators and is fully optimize and utilize the network. Cisco offers IoT solutions for security, networking and data management purposes. The Cisco IoT Cloud Connect platform mainly offers data and voice connectivity.
Features of the Cisco IoT Cloud Connect
- It provides a cloud-based dashboard that offers a better view and controls the IoT gateways
- It supports data computation in a distributed network for ensuring optimum use of resources in the network
- It allows free-flow of data between the connected devices and apps that are based on the cloud
- It provides real-time updates
- It offers granular and real-time visibility
An All-Inclusive Guide On The Top IoT Sensors In The MarketLearn More
12. Altair SmartWorks
It is an end-to-end IoT platform and offers a platform as a service. Altair SmartWorks assists you in connecting devices, collecting data, managing devices and data and building and running the app. It offers diverse functionalities like Listeners, rules, device management, custom alarms, triggers and data export and more such.
Features of Altair SmartWorks
- With the help of SmartWorks, you can get connected with any kind of devices like gateways, machines, sensors and more such
- It consists of an open architecture
- With the help of REST API, you can send JSON data and XML
13. General Electrics Predix
General Electrics Predix have also decided to take steps into the Pass game. But they are focusing on the industrial market by providing connectivity and analytics at the right scale for mainstream sectors like aviation. Its pricing is done on a pay-as-you-go basis. Although, they do not have simple pricing tables just like the larger companies. Also, they have a cool and interactive demo that you can try out.
Features of general electric predix
- Relaxed connectivity
- Better interoperability
- Good statistics control
- Best security controls
SAP is yet another domain that is beneficial for remote management and monitoring each and every single device that can be put in your IoT framework. The remote devices can get connected directly or with the help of cloud management. The analytical enables the developers to make ready, sort out and focus on the collected data from the meters, sensors, and IoT gadgets.
Features of SAP
- It offers the option of using IoT data for building and combining AI apps
- It has reliable message processing
- It helps in bridging the gap between legacy and IoT protocols
- It offers secure data consumption
DeviceHive is an open-source IoT data platform based on a machine-to-machine (M2M) communication network. Ever since it launched in 2012, DeviceHive has quickly become one of the most preferred IoT development tools in the current market scenario.
Features of DeviceHive -
- It is a cloud-based API. Meaning, it can be controlled remotely, minus any network configuration.
- It has various deployment options — suitable for both mature enterprises and startups.
- It employs the best software design techniques, including a container-based and service-oriented architecture approach.
- It can connect with any device through MQTT, WebSockets, and REST API.
- It supports libraries written in many programming languages, including iOS and Android, making the platform device-agnostic.
Node-RED is an IoT programming tool used for wiring together hardware devices, online services, and APIs creatively. The light-weight runtime is developed on Node.js. The IoT tool deploys the browser-based flow editor to deploy the flow in a single click.
Features of Node-RED -
- It comes with a built-in library enabling you to save valuable templates, flows, or functions for re-use.
- It is ideal for running IoT projects at the edge of the network on low-cost hardware such as Raspberry Pi.
- There are over 225,000 modules on Node-RED’s package repository, making it easy to add new functionalities.
IoT Hardware Platforms Of 2023: What To ConsiderLearn More
17. Tessel 2
Tessel 2 is a dynamic IoT platform used primarily for creating basic IoT prototypes and solutions. It is known for cloud integration, including additional modules and sensors and can easily support up to a dozen modules, including GPS, RFID, accelerometer, and camera.
Features of Tessel 2 -
- It is a boon to use by software developers who are knowledgeable in Node.js programming.
- You can use sensors, ports, and actuators in one step using the Tessel ports.
- It can be used to host several hardware and servers of IoT solutions.
18. Arduino IDE
Arduino IDE is a perfect blend of IoT hardware and software that allows you to write code to upload it to the microcontroller. You can install Arduino IDE for Microsoft Windows, Linux, and Apple Mac operating systems.
Features of Arduino IDE -
- It uses C, Java, and C++ functions as programming languages.
- It is user-friendly and mainly used to feed code to your brand.
- You can modify the IoT platform using GPL or LGPL license requirements.
- It has a vibrant community of global developers that post tutorials online.
19. M2MLabs Mainspring
It is an application framework used for building M2M apps such as fleet administration, remote control, and smart terminal. It is one of those IoT app development platforms that facilitate design structure, validation, data normalization, data retrieval functions, and long-term data repository.
Features of M2MLabs Mainspring -
- The modeling happens in hours rather than weeks.
- It is based on Java and the Apache Cassandra NoSQL database.
- M2M apps can be effectively passed on to a high-performance execution environment.
- It provides a wiki with sample applications for Android, Arduino, Ubuntu Core, Raspberry PI, and Merkur Board.
OpenSCADA is an open implementation of SCADA, short for Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition and HMI (Human-Machine Interface) systems. The main properties include modularity, multi-platform, scalability, and openness. OpenSCADA is an open-source tool, and its source texts can be freely obtained for further compilation and use.
Features of OpenSCADA -
- It is intended to perform ordinary functions of SCADA systems.
- It helps in building machine tools, mobile systems, server equipment monitoring, smart houses, and so on.
- It works with data efficiently in real-time.
- Its program architecture allows you to realize the distributed client-server systems of any stature.
21. Raspberry Pi
Previously known as Raspbian, it is a platform used in popular IoT devices. It comes with preinstalled IoT software such as Chromium, Mathematica, and Minecraft Pi Edition. The user interface of Raspberry Pi is similar to macOS, Windows, Ubuntu Linux, and so on.
That makes it extremely useful for experimental, educational, and general purposes ensuring constant development.
Features of Raspberry Pi -
- With the help of cloud-based APIs, you can deploy various apps on top of a Raspbian OS running on an x86 computer.
- It comes with detailed documentation that makes it easy for first-time users to access the platform.
- There are certain substitutes for the IoT framework, which are network-based educational solutions.
- It has a thriving global community wherein the developers also run online tutorials.
It is a platform apt for creating APIs for IoT devices. Based on Node.js, the platform combines REST APIs, reactive programming, and WebSockets for the job. It simplifies the development process due to direct access to conventions and protocols.
A Zetta server can run locally on hardware such as Intel Edison or anywhere on the cloud. If you use Zetta with visualization tools, you can also efficiently track device behaviour.
Features of Zetta
- Access the complete toolkit for building HTTP APIs for devices.
- Allow developers to assemble device apps, smartphone apps, and cloud apps.
- Build data-intensive platforms for various devices, and integrate smaller platforms into one coherent system.
- There is ample documentation about Zetta, including definitive info on APIs and supporting technologies.
- If you want to brainstorm big ideas, report a bug, or need help building a new device, you have the full-fledged Zetta community to rely on.
Top 25 IoT Development Boards In 2023 And How To Choose The Right OneAccess the Guide
It is a platform that you can use for creating and building IoT monitoring apps. The primary sectors leveraging the IoT tool are energy management, smart city, and mobility. It is open-source and also available with a commercial license.
You are free to connect any data source or data source for managing assets within one interface. Create rules for asset maintenance and easily leverage built-in tools for data processing with OpenRemote.
Features of OpenRemote
- Definite automated actions and messaging with the editors of the platform.
- Design any application you want for your project and build a robust workflow.
- Gain insights into your data and take action during the development process.
- Transform your data into information and develop apps that fit the user workflow.
- Give your end-users or clients restricted access to the Manager so that they can view only their own assets.
- There is an active community for OpenRemote developers who help resolve queries and build the much-requested features.
This open-source IoT platform helps undertake various tasks, including processing and visualization of IoT solutions, data collection, and device management. It utilizes CoAP, MQTT, and HTTP protocols for connecting devices and handling data for them.
It allows you to create custom widgets using its built-in editor. Both cloud and on-premise deployment options are available. ThingsBoard also facilitates IoT protocols such as MQTT, HTTP, and many more.
Features of ThingsBoard
- Create rule chains and event-based workflows for addressing your use case requirements.
- ThingsBoard can conveniently support millions of devices and multiple tenants.
- Choose a monolithic architecture for a small project or go for a microservices infrastructure to build a highly scalable project.
- Some many resources and tutorials can help you get started with ThingsBoard.
- Its community is active on Gitter and Google Groups.
Features of Kinoma
- Kinoma Studio offers a sensor library and hardware simulator, enabling developers to build robust IoT applications.
- Kinoma Connect is an app for iOS and Android-supporting IoT devices.
- Access numerous tutorials on its practical apps on GitHub. There are also developers specializing in Kinoma who can help with various queries and all.
- The community is dispersed across the globe because the platform is aimed at an independent IoT maker group.
Thinger offers a rapidly-scaling cloud infrastructure for connecting millions of IoT devices. You can combine them by integrating them with your project that utilizes REST API or manage them swiftly by running the admin console. Thinger’s main aim is to enable companies to help build IoT products. Moreover, it provides real-time data on its dashboard.
Features of Thinger
- It is an open-source platform, and you can easily install the server in your cloud.
- Use Thinger’s hosted cloud infrastructure with a straightforward admin console if you want scalability, security, and speed.
- Turn on the light from the internet or change the temperature from your mobile device by leveraging sensors. You only need a single line of code on the MCU.
- You can find all the documentation you need about using Thinger on its official site.
- There is a reasonably active community — always ready to help you with all queries related to the IoT tool.
27. Distributed Services Architecture (DSA)
DSA is an open-source IoT platform that enables device inter-communication, applications, and logic at every layer of the IoT infrastructure. The aim is to unify the differing services, devices, and platforms into a structured and adaptable real-time data model. DSA aims to build a solid community of makers, manufacturers, and solution providers in the world of IoT.
Features of DSA
- It allows purpose-built products and services to engage with each other in a decentralized fashion.
- It enables a network architect to distribute functionality between detached computing resources and platforms.
- It has a network topology that comprises various DSLinks running on edge devices connected to a tiered hierarchy of brokers.
- You can find many resources and guides on using DSA properly on GitHub.
- If you require help, get in touch with the community on Slack and Google Groups.
It is one of the most flexible IoT app development and device management platforms. It comes with a variety of features such as data analysis, configuration management, data collection, data visualization, and so on. It gives you complete control over the IoT devices, and you can choose to host Kaa wherever you like, from the public cloud to cloud premises.
Features of Kaa
- It helps connect and manage devices using REST APIs or graphical UPIs.
- Kaa supports open IoT protocols, ultimately ensuring user safety information.
- You will find resources and documentation on general Kaa concepts on the website.
- Add a feature-specific platform, connecting transportation-agnostic links and different IoT devices.
- It is a hot favorite among renowned sectors and enterprises because of low development costs, business app customization, and direct hardware integration.
- Benefit from open APIs to integrate Kaa features into your applications and modules.
A programmable processor core — this is another hardware development product for IoT solutions. It is a by-product of Google. Flutter’s board is based on Arduino and comes with a built-in battery charger, a robust ARM processor, and a security chip. Flutter gives 3D-printed parts for your device. It is perfect for wireless networks of sensors.
Features of Flutter
- The programmable processor core is built for electronic projects of engineers and students.
- It incorporates a wireless transmitter that displays up to more than a half-mile.
- You do not need a router. The Flutter boards can communicate with one another rapidly.
- It is easy to use and involves 256-bit AES encryption. Flutter has a visual finish and delivers the high performance of current widgets.
- There is a reasonably active but small community for Flutter developers to discuss the IoT tool, share learnings, and brainstorm new project ideas.
It is an open-source, multi-tenant, microservice-based platform for building, employing, and supporting IoT applications at the industrial level. The platform uses technologies such as Kubernetes, Apache Kafka, and Docker. SiteWhere is open-source and free for life for both commercial and private use.
It facilitates significant data transfer, data processing and integration, storage, event handling, and device management. You can deploy SiteWhere on-premise or on multiple cloud platforms, including AWS, Azure, and GCP.
Features of SiteWhere
- The platform offers the adjustment, collection, processing of device inputs.
- SiteWhere runs on Apache Tomcat and is highly tuned with MongoDB and HBase applications.
- It connects gadgets with Stomp, MQTT, AMQP, and other protocols.
- SiteWhere adds widgets via REST services, self-registration, or in-batches.
- Each microservice in SiteWhere scales independently and integrates automatically.
- Plenty of user guides are available on the site for many purposes, including microservices, device interaction, system administration, and deployment.
- There is an active Discord community for SiteWhere IoT developers.
Comparison between Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure, Amazon AWS and Particle
As the demand and scope of IoT are flourishing across diverse industry sectors, it has become an essential need to understand the top IoT development platforms and tools in detail.
Above-described are the points that will help you to choose the top IoT development companies among all that are present in the market. You can choose the IoT application development platforms as per your business need. Understanding the requirement, the experts will guide you to make the final choice of IoT platform and tool.
We at Intuz have immense experience in providing the IoT product development solutions to different clientele. Our expert IoT developers are highly talented and skilled to work on the IoT development project. Coming to us, you will never get disappointed as we only strive for success and customer satisfaction.